My Neck of the Woods

What did I not anticipate posting about at t-minus ONE week to departure for Kenya?  My neck.

Yes, that’s right. My neck is, not-literally-but-might-as-well-be, broken. You see, I started experiencing some neck pain several weeks ago upon waking every morning. Then, about three weeks ago, I was rear-ended in a teeny, tiny fender-bender and all hell broke loose in my neck of the woods. Get it? Neck?

In preparing to go to Kenya, I anticipated a few immunizations for yellow fever, typhoid, and the like.  An MRI was not on my to-do list yesterday.

But, there I found myself, lying in a little, white, claustrophobia-inducing tube of despair for about an hour.  In an effort not to kill me in a death-by-MRI incident, the kind imaging staff asked me 223 times in 5 languages if I had metal in my body. By the time I reached the imaging room, I was in a near panic, racking my brain to remember if someone ever covertly slipped some metal in here somewhere.

Have you ever experienced an MRI? It is loud. The top of the tube is a few mere inches from your face. You are not allowed to move. Go figure: the position I had to lay in was exquisitely painful for my neck, so I had to clutch my arm and try not to move or groan as my muscles twitched and spasmed the whole time.  And did I mention the clanging sound of hell’s gates rattling in my ears? I am not dramatic at all, people.

I decided to make the most of this divine opportunity and do some serious praying. I mean, the lengths that God will go to get a gal to be STILL, talk to Him, LISTEN, adore Him, stop reaching for a smartphone, stop remembering “just one more thing” from the old To-Do List that really shouldn’t wait, and JUST. BE.  He eliminated everything and made Himself my only option for an hour. By the end, I can assure you, pain and all, I was NOT ready to exit The Tube.

During the first portion that required earplugs, I prayed intently for everyone that came to mind.  I was pretty indifferent when the technician offered headphones for the second portion and told him that he could play whatever he wanted for me. I was totally expecting Luke Bryan or maybe Snoop Dogg to pop on in my ears, since I didn’t specify a preference. The next portion was a bit more painful a position to hold, and for a longer amount of time. A couple of minutes in, I heard some music come on and as the MRI noise abated a bit, I realized the sweet technician was playing some worship music for me.

“Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky…

I will lift my voice
To worship You, my King
I will find my strength
In the shadow of Your wings” -Third Day


What can I tell you?  God Himself met me in an MRI tube yesterday and He pinned me down.  It was painful and uncomfortable and indescribably beautiful.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  He pinned me down in a hard place and gave me prayer and worship to fight back against pain and fear.

I got the results back today.  I was so fearful of needing some type of invasive procedure, or worse, being told I would have to cancel my trip.  Alas, all is well.  Now I just wait for the whiplash and inflammation to fade away.  Can you pray with me?  I am asking for complete abatement of the pain and restrictions before I set off on about 21 hours of flight time.

ONE week from today.

“The same power that moves mountains when He speaks
The same power that can calm a raging sea
Lives in us, lives in us …

Greater is He that is living in me
He’s conquered our enemy
No power of darkness
No weapon prevails
We stand here in victory ” –Jeremy Camp

About amy

Wife, boy mom, child of the King. Lover of coffee, fonts, words, tacos, and leggings.